Sunday, May 3, 2009

coffee shop music

I've only asked a coffee shop to change their music once. It was the holidays and they were playing Christmas music... for like three hours. I am not the biggest fan and finally caved, begging the barista to change it. I think I offended him. Decided that was no longer an okay thing to do. Part of the pleasure of being behind that counter is listening to whatever you please.

But, wow, these last three hours of my life have been a bit claustrophobic. In this "edgy" coffee shop (this *is* Boulder), they have been playing painful, painful music. At least to my ears. The Doors mostly. On and on and on, The Doors. I never knew they wrote so many songs! Mostly because I don't listen to them. There's something about his voice that blooms dark, kinda nasty ego-centrism. And I rather hate the harpsichord- even Bach. It's like horseradish for the ears. I feel so wrong posting this, but also feel so trapped in this sonic prison, too loud to block with ear phones, although I'm trying with pop music of the loudest variety I can find, lots of treble to cancel out noise. MGMT "Kids" * Not proud of the choice, but such measures should be forgiven in times like these.


* not sure what they are saying and don't want to know. rather pleased with guessing that it's about a child, coming up in the world, and him giving the warning to take only what you need from it. one of the few lines I tune into it "family of trees falling." i like the concept of that warning. sticking to it.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States