Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Adventures of Regurgi-girl

It's one a handful of times traveling that I felt some deep and thorough fear. Our hired driver, moving us from Amritsar to Panthankot, was a madman. 10 people slammed in an 8 passanger "Tourist Vehicle" (which was much less crowded than the bus we tried to board). 3 Punjabi boys (early 20's), who arranged the ride, one Thai girl, 2 Korean boys, the driver, Jefferson and me. They had the music cranked way up on a disco-light stereo, and the back cabin light on. The Indian boys and driver were dancing to their Punjabi pop, yelling, hollaring, the driver swerving erratically: in both lanes when no cars were around, playing chicken when another vehicle threatened our space. I've been in frightening taxis before but this one took it over the edge, especially when we came up on tight turns that hugged the growing mountains. He was jerking the wheel on the them at the last minute while smoking a cigarette and dancing in his seat.

I screamed.

Twice.

The alpha male of the Indian crown asked jokingly if I was scared and-

-let me pause here for a moment and point out something. The temperature of Jefferson's skin. He's usually hot to the touch but my hand on his leg felt coolness. He wondered aloud if the driver was drunk and admitted he was quite scared too. Two things about this man- he is generally fearless and he has great intuition. That cool thigh meant something to me-

"Are you scared?"

*pushed pride and the traveler "cool" aside*
EMPHATIC "YES"

They laughed. What would it take to slow him down? I saw us going over the side and imagined being trapped in this car, bleeding to death. Where was the closest hospital? I hadn't even seen an ambulance since we arrived.

ENTER REGURGI-GIRL

When I was sick back in Rishikesh, Jefferson joked that I could have superpowers and be Regurgi-girl. Getting sick whenever I chose- how powerful could that be? I decided to test it and out and threaten with her now.

"Yes, I am scared. But also I was sick until just yesterday."

*Patted my tummy*

The driver tooked his eyes off the road for a hair raising second and looked back.

"You're going to be sick?"

He had said before that this was his own vehicle, not borrowed, so I hoped that meant some extra interest in its cleanliness.

"Not yet. But I have been sick until yesterday."

He paused. Took his foot off the gas.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon. Maybe tomorrow."

"Thank you. Me too."

The rest of the ride was easier, slower, gentler, a simple '4' on the fear factor scale. And I smiled inside. Regurgi-girl saves the day once again.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States