It's like one of those puzzles where they ask you,
Do you want $10 now?
Or want to wait for a potential, but unlikely, $15 in a year?
Or, really,
$500 now
or maybe $800 (but possibly not) after a huge struggle and a potential law suit
That's been the option with ol' Madison. They'll refund $500 this week and bump me down to a 3 year membership, BUT I get to have my picture in their book. A $1000 value. Wow! A whole photo! I'll send them a picture alright, of a well-placed finger.
I can keep fighting. I can contact the attorney generals and report them to the Better Business Bureau. But when I called today, ready to spar, they immediately forward me to the head of finance (DOCTOR Bill Peterson) who said he believed me, knew by my voice that I wasn't fibbing (never even crossed my mind as an option, but heartening all the same) and said 9/10 times, he would tell me tough luck. But THIS time, he'd help me out by striking a deal (but that's all because they've already incurred large costs on my account). He sounded genuine, not too smooth talking etc. Was upset by the fraud, said that representative doesn't work for them anymore but, "Is home on the couch watching Opera and not helping anyone." Ouch.
Spoke to a friend trained in law and he basically told me it's not worth it; it'd cost me more in legal fees and time than it's worth. Take the money and run, chalk it up to experience.
I hate that it has to be that way in the US... that corporations can hold so much more power than citizens and get away with these sorts of practices. What can you do? Anger doesn't help much when you're one tiny squirrel, yelling at the trees to move.
I hate giving up a fight, especially when there's a large issue at hand. But reality in my life dictates I spend my energies elsewhere.
*hangs her head*
I'll take the first option.
*moves on with her life*
You Really Need to be Drinking Vermouth Right Now
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment