Wednesday, January 20, 2010

too many choices, hey yeah

I went to buy toilet paper yesterday and was totally blown away. In Target, at least, there are no more regular rolls of toilet paper. They are all double and triple rolls that come with an explanation of how many rolls it *looks* like you're getting, verses how many you are *really* getting. For example:

Charmin double rolls!
12=24 rolls!

Angel soft double soft, extra strong rolls
6=12 super duty, extra pillowy toilet paper rolls!

Snuggy soft triple rolls
buy 24 and get 72 rolls!

72 rolls. 72 rolls of toilet paper. Really?
A) Do I need 72 rolls of toilet paper and
B) Is that really the case? Or am I actually getting 24 really thick rolls that I don't have room to store and won't fit in the little space between the holder and the wall, that make me feel like I have unlimited paper and therefore am more likely to use more than I need or should, and therefore sending me back to the store sooner than if I had just bought a regular roll of paper?

Not to mention all the explanations in terms of square feet and yards of paper, extra multiplied and expanded when they are super thick and "pillowy." It took me way more time than I'd ever want to choose my brand and size and number. I paced up and down the aisle just trying to find some clue that I wasn't being ripped off and was somehow making it home with a decent amount of product for the best price; it gave me a headache. Didn't even bother looking at the unit price because what does that even mean? Is it for the 72 rolls I'm really getting, the 24 it looks like I am getting or the 360 square feet packed into each package? Just ended up getting the store brand in hopes that it was the cheapest.

In a book I read recently about bliss, the author discusses how choice between meaningful things makes us happy, but too many choices for meaningless things just adds to life's frustration and anxiety. Too many varieties of burgers, too many cold medications, too many brands of cat litter and too many ways to think about toilet paper. It is, I suppose, an outcome of capitalism and I should feel grateful for inter-company competition for my business that keeps the quality high and the price low. But it barely felt worth the 10 minutes I spent under pulsing florescent lights, contemplating this tiny fraction of my existence. Drove home with the Dave Matthews song, Typical Situation, in my slightly aching head- "It's a typical situation in these typical times, too many choices, hey yeah. Everybody's happy. Everybody's free...."
(unsure ending; edits in order)

1 comment:

mbs said...

I get the 4-pack at wherever I am, price be damned. Usually winds up being the walgreens between work and home. I think it lasts me about 2 months.

Also: there can never be enough varieties of burger.

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States