Wednesday, August 4, 2010

luxury

I came home after my first day of work tonight and busted down the doors of luxury. Slipped into a hot bath, accompanied by a glass of slightly chilled boutique red wine, sharp Australian cheddar slices and bits of 80% dark chocolate. Oh, and a British chicklet novel. Traded out sips of wine with bites of rich foods and even got out of the bath to toast a slice of bread and refill my glass. Luxury at its finest.

And do I feel guilty? Yes. And more than ever before. More so, even, than returning from Madagascar where I gave two starving children a lollypop in the park because I thought my money would go to someone "behind the scenes." I still see the look in their eyes- disappointment and desperation- at least once a week and it's been 8 years since that moment. I could have been their daily bread and instead I gave them absolute shite.

And this time around as well. Was I as generous as I could have been? No. Did I have money to give lavishly? Absolutely not. But did I buy things for myself? Indeed. A necklace I lost, clothing I'll probably never wear (in public) again. That money could have been somebody's food. In that moment of opportunity for direct generosity, I failed once again. But why the guilt now, over this bath, wine and cheese?

I understand that humans are naturally selfish. For whatever reason we are programmed, in varying degrees, to consider ourselves first. And I am thinking about that selfishness now, red from a hot bath that would have been a whole family's ration of water for a day. But I feel somehow, that because these things are available to me, and the division of power doesn't mean that my personal lack is their direct gain... that somehow, if I just treasure this luxury, this opportunity, and feel truly grateful, it'll even out my karma.

Excuses.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

I think it's good that you feel guilty. And I don't mean that to make you feel worse. But if you feel guilty, that means you have a conscience and compassion - very important things. I truly believe that God blesses us with the things that we have so that we can be a cheerful giver to others. I applaud the fact that you have conflict over your provisions and the lack of provisions of others. That conflict is what causes you to be such a wonderful, caring person who really has a passion to change the world. If everyone had your convictions and acted on them, the world, and everyone in it would want for nothing.

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States