Tuesday, February 8, 2011

date with an old friend

I took myself on a date tonight. The whole nine yards.

Got my hair cut, bought a new dress, got my eyebrows waxed. Then I went home and pulled a hot bath with smelly-good salts and shaved my legs. While I got ready- pulling out makeup I seldom use, applying teeth whitening strips, trying on different jewelry, painting my toenails- I played fun, spritely music (Octopus Project) and really enjoyed myself. I wanted to be in a good mood when I hit the door.

Because this is an important date.

We've been friends for so long (and like any close people, enemies too) and now we are settling into a comfortable and enlightening rhythm, learning something new every time we hang out. I love us together and I wanted it to be a special night.

I headed to work and enjoyed a three course meal- big salad with bacon and apples, black mission figs stuffed with cheese and wrapped in prosciutto, then the "La Bomba", a flourless chocolate tort heated and served with local vanilla goat's milk gelato and grappa soaked cherries. All accompanied by the Byron pinot noir- subtle enough to blend with each dish, but powerful enough to show up for a performance. Next up is a movie at my favorite theater, the Alamo Drafthouse. We're going to see the King's Speech because the reviews are raving and the preview moved me, as few do. I look forward to settling into the seat with perhaps another glass of wine, and not saying a single thing to a single soul.

Just me, myself and I.

This solitary time is so rare. I just realized that my parents have been married almost twice as long as they have been single. That's amazing and beautiful, and also reminded me that while I have some time to do whatever I want, nearly whenever I want, I should take full advantage and savor every second.

So that's me tonight, full from delicious food, satisfied with spectacular wine, shaved legs and doing exactly what I please.

Hello you. So glad we've met.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States