I am sitting in my room after working a very long shift. In the hallway a group of coworkers/ dormmates/ friends are talking. "Jack" (Yang) a Chinese guy who works as a dining attendant is trying to say "Son"- it sounds like "Some" because the N is very difficult for him. This is cracking up my neighbor, Sarah. Every time he gets it right, she said, "Yes, that's it!" and every time his lips come together to form and "mmm..." sound, she laughs. One of those breath-first laughs, with a long, high pitched exhales, following by the stacato giggle. It makes me smile just to hear it. She always laughs a lot when she's tired and we all feel like the funniest people in the world on those days.
I'm alone in my dorm room now, a true luxury usually only enjoyed by managers. My roommate left a few days ago. Oh, and the internet is working, another rare luxury. To my left, 3 feet from my desk are my work shoes and socks and I can smell them from here. They will be sleeping in the hallway,yet again, tonight. To my right, I just saw a small, gray mouse skuttle across the floor. Truth be told, I think the thing is terribly cute. It's kind of fat, with round ears. Another girl set traps and killed hers. I kind of think of mine as a friend. My roommate said she saw it climb the wall, but I don't believe it. Or I choose not to, anyway.
My little heater is clicking on and off and that sweet warmth, paired with my box red wine in a Chinet plastic cup on the desk, is making me sleepy. I know I am tired because I keep taking a mouthful of wine, holding it over my tongue and writing, only to realize several sentences later that it's still there, and that I need to swallow. The hallway has emptied out and all I can hear now are quiet coughs coming from the room across the hall. Most people have probably moved downstairs to the girls' side lobby (because we have the couches), outside to our porch, or to the "Pub"- our designated hangout spot that greatly resembles an unfinished basement. It's a cold walk from here and I won't be joining. We have a week left, as a group. Then it's down to just 12 of us, closing down the hotel. I know I should live up every night as best as I can, connect as much as possible with anyone and everyone, but I have already started the transition. I finally have a plan, and my mind is half there.
You Really Need to be Drinking Vermouth Right Now
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment