My very brave and intelligent friend Amy (see top posting on blogs I read regularly), started a rice research group on google. It is just beginning and I'm not sure who all are members, but my run-in with the article below prompted the request of a topic discussion. The email post:
Dear Rice Researchers,
I have recently been pondering the role of rice consumption in helping to alleviate current worldwide shortages. An article by Paul Collier in Foreign Affairs magazine, "The Politics of Hunger", encourages the increase of conventional agriculture as a solution to the current grain crisis. I feel this is a common response but a dangerous one in light of the long term effects of conventional practices. What if food could be seen energy? We are talking more and more about energy and fuel conservation. Could food also be conserved? Could we look at controlling the demand alongside the supply?
As far as I understand, we are undergoing a strange transition worldwide. Grain, and really food consumption in general, has increased in general and per person. This is resulting in over-nutrition in many countries (seen in increased obesity), but also in plate waste. I read somewhere that the Philippines are requiring fast food restaurants to cut portion sizes of rice in half in an effort to make more rice available nationally. This, I felt, was a smart reconsideration of the problem.
What do you think about shifting the mindset from only considering production to also considering waste and unhealthy consumption?
Looking forward to your responses,
Best,
Margaret
You Really Need to be Drinking Vermouth Right Now
10 years ago

1 comment:
Aw, thank you. I am so glad you posted and began the conversation!
Post a Comment