Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Celebrate! If not now, when?

I forgot my phone at home last night, which is a shame. There is something about tragedy and jubilation that creates a longing to connect with people in our lives. Most of all, I wanted to talk to my family. But I got this email from my dad this morning. Started writing him back and just couldn't stop. It's all below.

This is the first time since I think 5th grade when I sang that Lee Greenwood song in a talent show, that I feel proud to be American. I wasn't aware enough during Clinton and Bush was... all those painful things Bush was. But last night I felt so lucky to be cognizant of the importance of this election and of other people around me as citizens, fellow countrymen.

Early in the night, we were trying to study at a coffee shop but just couldn't ignore the TV. After they did the countdown and projected Obama as winner, J and I were too nervous to get excited. What if they take it back? What if something like Florida happens? But the states kept adding up- even Virginia! We yelled a few times, gave hugs to random people and I finally said it would be impossible to do any more work. Let's got into the town and see how everyone is celebrating! We hollered and screamed from our bikes as we rode off campus- everyone on their cell phones (I left mine at home- what a wrong night to do that!), smiling, returning our cheers. I kept thinking, "Maybe if I yell loud enough, this will all sink in."

Made it to the Irish pub for McCain's speech- I agree, it was gracious, supportive. It looked as though he had been crying. Couldn't take my eyes off the crowd- all in suits, mostly white. They looked so wealthy. J and I were the loudest ones in the bar- kept getting looks as we whooped and commented. I felt rude but too excited to contain the energy. So we gave cheers to McCain and Obama then walked up the street to Boulder Theater. THAT was a party! They had CNN up on the movie screen and were playing Bob Marley (get up, stand up, stand up for your rights). A woman with a huge US flag was up on the balcony, waving it from side to side. Everyone was smiling at everyone else, and for a Boulder crowd, it was beautifully mixed- Asian, Latino, black, white, old, young, handicapped, gay- all fully aware of each other as citizens. Obama's speech was lovely- when he said what we won was the *chance* to make a change, J whispered, "He gets it." I loved the part when he talked about how much that woman in Atlanta had seen (and I love how you brought up Kennedy- our first time electing a Catholic president!), and I felt a breath of fresh air when he talked about how he would listen, even to those who didn't vote for him, and especially when there was disagreement. He invoked a little of MLK's last speech at the end and I squeezed J's hand out of fear. Please don't let him be another martyr. J mentioned how martyrs can be good for impetus to rally and unite, but please not him. I kept watching his eyes and couldn't help but think how strange it must feel for him- one part mourning the passing of his grandmother, and one part celebrating this victory. The Chicago crowd was huge and so diverse, all mixed in together. "That's the real America," J exclaimed. Swelled up with pride.

We poured out the theater to Pearl Street. Boulder is a very tame town, pretty well asleep by 9pm most nights. So different from Austin. But the energy was shifting. We joined a dance party headed by a very square looking blond kid with a gold trimmed jam box on his shoulder, 80's style. People were carrying signs and breaking out into random chanting. Down the street was a crosswalk. The strangest phenomenon was forming right as we walked up. When the traffic light turned red, everyone crossed the street, giving high fives and yelling. But little by little, decided not to continue on. We'd about-face and wait for the next walk signal, high fiving again and hugging each other. Then we just started lingering in the walk signal, jumping around, moshing really, and yelling. When the light turned green, we'd clear to each side. Someone brought a drum and dancing started in these little periods. Girls were put up on shoulders, the crowd kept growing. We must have done this at least 20 times- politely returning to the sidewalks so cars could pass. I stepped out after a while and climbed a tree for a bird's eye view- there must have been 200 hundred people at least, doing this strange ritual. And like the theater, it was all colors, some homeless men, a guy in a wheelchair, older voters in their tie-dye shirts, a few people in suits, the students, the healers, musicians, waiters, foreigners, Americans. Initially, the police stayed away, but eventually tried to control the crowds, especially because less and less people were clearing the road. Then they did something I didn't expect- just blocked traffic altogether and motioned everyone to take over the street! I thanked them personally and they just laughed. Some of my classmates were there and we gave hugs all around, everyone so shocked and barely able to be hopeful, but talking about how we could finally breathe again after 8 years.

I jogged down the street to check on something and on the walk back, came up behind two waiters smoking cigarettes and being cynical- "All these people think that now, after he's been elected, their problems will magically be solved." "No," I answered, "we are just enjoying a sense of hope for a change." "Yeah, yeah, I have as much hope as the next person. I mean, I voted for Obama and all." "Good! Then you know that maybe something will shift here. We're also just being human letting out some energy and celebration. Boulder's such a tame town- finally, people are out and about and having some fun!" In hindsight I wish I had told them- NOW is the time to celebrate, let loose all that happiness you've been storing in your bones. If not now, when?

At the end, J and I walked down to Boulder's busiest bar and people watched, giving high fives and enjoying all the smiles; we talked about how much depth there was to this win- people kept comparing it to sports victories then saying, "But much better!!" Yes, better. Bigger, more important. I can feel prouder as an American traveling now (hopefully); the conversation in the White House will change; new issues are on the table and a new era is beginning. My calves were starting to hurt- all that jumping around in big boots was more of a workout than the 5 mile run that afternoon. But despite the hour, I didn't feel tired at all. I knew this sense of elation was temporary and the intensity of our nation's situation would set in again, and I'd feel tired and we'd all have to wait until January 20th to really feel a change. But there was no reason not to feel it to the fullest when we could. One more dance party on the walk back and we rode our bikes home, throats sore and so happy. The cold front blew in and it was raining a little. Change. What a night!

Sorry- I know that was really long (and I started writing like a blog- I think maybe I'll post it :) but you were the person I wanted to call most last night. I've called and written my roommate Casey, asking him to bring my phone to class so I'll call you if he brings it, or I'll call tonight. I hope you got to watch everything with a good crowd and I hope you got to talk to Mommy and Christina. I love you so much!

Marg

My favored candidate won the election. I appreciated McCain's concession speech...very gracious. Watching the folks in Chicago reminded me of JFK's election when I was 12 years old...A Catholic could become president of this country!! A similar barrier was broken tonight. Twenty years from now folks will wonder what all the fuss was about...an African-American elected to our highest office! We are in a troubled time..I am scared, but we will come together as our parents did in WW2, and together we will make it. Just felt I had to say something about this. God Bless America
Brian

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
--Thomas Paine

(Video of it, about an hour in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfaR502Wfv4&feature=related)

_______________________
The account in Indonesian

Obama Menang!!

Hari Selasa, ada pemilihan umum di Amerika. Saya takut karena saya tidak menyukai George W. Bush dan pikir John McCain seperti Bush. Pemilihan umumnya yang dulu, saya menangis. Jadi, untuk pemilihan ini, kami ke warung kopi dan menonton televisi. Saya mencoba belajar, tetapi sulit karena hasil-hasilnya baik sekali! Kami menonton CNN dan jam sembilan malam, mereka mengatakan, “Obama Menang!”

Kami meloncat tinggi dan berteriak! Ada tiga mahasiswa di warung juga dan kami memeluknya. Tetapi, warungnya terlalu tenang, sehingga, kami meninggalkannya dan pergi ke kota ke bar Conor O’Niells. Selama naik sepeda, kami berteriak-teriak dan orang-orang lain berteriak juga. Waktu kami sampai di Conor, John McCain berpidato. Kami mendengarkan tetapi berbicara juga. Barnya terlalu tenang jadi kami ke Boulder Theater. Waduh! Ada pesta besar. Banyak orang berdansa dan ada orang membawa bendera Amerika yang besar sekali. Waktu kami sampai, ada musik Bob Marley dan CNN di layar film. Sesudah sepuluh menit, Barak Obama berpidato. Enak sekali pidatonya: banyak kebijaksanaan dan dengan bergaya. Saya dan orang lain menangis, tetapi kali ini berwibawa.

Sesudah pidatonya, kami meninggalkan bioskop dan jalan di Jalan Pearl. Ada banyak orang di sana juga, berdansa, menyanyi, berteriak. Ada orang yang membawa radio besar dan orang-orang yangdansa dengan dia. Di Jalan Pearl dan Broadway, ada orang-orang berdiri di setiap pinggir jalan. Waktu lampu lalu-lintas berubah dari hijau ke merah, semua orang menyeberang jalan dan berteriak dan berelukan. Tetapi sesudah menyeberang, mereka tidak meninggalkan persimpangannya. Mereka menunggu lampu lalu lintas merubah lagi, supaya bisa, menyeberang lagi dan berteriak, berdansa dan berelukan lagi. Kami ikut serta. Saya berdansa dan menyanyi sambil naik ke pohon dan menonton semua orang- pemandangan yang indah sekali. Akhirnya, kami tinggal di jalan dan polisi menutup jalannya untuk pestanya! Kami tetap di sana selama dua jam, pergi ke satu bar lagi dan pulang.

Malam yang menyenangkan! Tetapi yang paling penting, saya senang punya harapan untuk negara saya lagi.

menangis- to cry
meloncat- to jump
berteriak- to yell
memeluk- to hug
berpidato- to make a speech
layar film- movie screen
kebijaksanaan- wisdom
berwibawa- with grace
kebahagiaan- happiness
pinggir- sides of
lampu lalu-lintas- traffic light
menyeberang- to cross
ikut serta- to join in

1 comment:

mbs said...

After so many steps back, we finally make one in the right direction. Let's keep moving that way forever, if we can.

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States