Tuesday, March 18, 2008

intimate

Been thinking a lot about intimacy lately... how we get to know people and if there are shortcuts, like hunches.

I don't really have any answers.

But I do feel a shift in my life from being a traveling person who mostly floats along the surface, to a settled person who wants to get the deeper sense of things in a visceral way. Being in one place for many months is part of that. So is starting a new relationship, I guess.

The blog plays into this somehow. Looking back, I see how personal and open I've been. A friend called it brave, but I wonder if it's not actually naive and a bit silly. It's been a great tool for therapy, creativity, healing etc. But now maybe it's time to start thinking about how to do those things in a different way.

The thought is thinning. To thin the blog down, taking out the personal entries and leaving, um, whatever is left. Then try to make the following entries only those that I would be comfortable with, say, a stalker reading. Not that I have any stalkers (that I know of), but preparation before reaction, or whatever.

So... that's it. I think I'll give it the week, since making decisions (as if this is some big thing) while sick is generally a bad idea. Or, maybe I'll start tonight, deleting from the bottom up.

2 comments:

mbs said...

The only thing that makes writing interesting to me is rawness. If it gets all impersonal and philosophical, my brain shuts off.

Anonymous said...

Intimacy is the best thing about your writing. It stands in brilliant contrast with everything I grew accustomed to seeing in this country, because it's exceptionally genuine and open, and doesn't care for maquillage.
It would be a major set back to my Boulder experience if you stop writing or go on with the thinning.
But that's just my opinion.

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States