Wednesday, March 26, 2008

synchronizing... now...

Sitting in a Portland coffee shop- a bit dark, dirty and rebellious. Kind of how I'm feeling. Didn't wake till after noon, first cup of coffee at 3p. I am alone today, explorer, navigating by sense and universe signs, instinct stretching out again, tentacles testing nooks and crannies in my head and in these green patches between buildings.

I logged into email for the first time in days and there was a pleading message from a kid I met at Dignity Village years ago here in Portland. I'm rereading my thesis for the first time in 5 years and thinking about these people. JL and I are only in touch once every 6 months or so and he's never asked for a thing. In this message, he said it was a matter of life or death that he get back to Portland, he was dying slowly of depression in Michigan (I can't blame him). Can I get him to Portland? There wasn't a pause in hitting reply. I don't have the cash, but I have the credit, and yes, I'll do it. Amtrak. Early April. It's becoming spring. There's hope everywhere.

1 comment:

mbs said...

I hope the weather is fairer for him in Portland.

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States