But not ten feet from the door, noticed an apple tree, hanging heavy with reddening fruit. My roommate and I climbed an apple tree near our house last week and harvested hundreds, but they are not much of the eating variety. Good for juicing, great for baking. This tree looked different. Dropped my backpack and found a conveniently placed cinder block at its foot. Hoisted up. I love how strong apple trees are. Their limbs remain steady, even when you think maybe they're too thin for treading. My first apple was soft, very ripe and a myriad of flavors. Some bites were tart, most sweet, a few even had the slight flavor of cinnamon. Magical. Eating, I leaned across the long branch in front of me like Hobbes the tiger, surveying the environment. The weather was perfect- a sunny warm, the slightest breeze and quiet. A few folks walked by but with iPods in their ears or in a hurry to the next class so I remained unnoticed. I liked to think if they could hear me, the rustling might be mistaken for a squirrel.
The next fruit I plucked was absolutely beautiful and I held onto it for dear life, thinking about who I'd give it to and how it might taste. Overlooked others around it because they were smaller and not as red. I felt kind of greedy and could hear my inner voice praising herself for such a good find. In my mind flashed a childhood story about collecting apples, a witch, a frog, three brothers and a prize; its moral was unattachment and generosity. Three now in my hands, I looked down at my big red prize and noticed the top had a hole, eaten away by insects still moving inside. I smiled at the lesson, gave thanks to the Universe, and tossed it to the ground below. Collected 8 apples in all, eating two and putting the rest in my backpack. My arms are covered in scratches.
I love climbing trees. Love the balance, the scramble, the warmth of the limbs and even the way little twigs leave their marks. None of the ones I climbed as a child had fruit, so today was an added reward. Here are some below. The one in the middle has a sense of humor; she's mooning you.

1 comment:
Have been enjoying your recent blogs. You're an inspiration.
Post a Comment