But yesterday, I measured a mile in the truck and told myself, save a broken ankle, we were going to do this straight through. (By we, I mean me and Hobodog. He's a great running distraction, zipping around on all sides of me, pulling at the lease to bark at dogs in fences.) Warmed up with a half mile before the starting point, pulled my hair back tighter and gave it a go. So enjoyable to hear my breath between songs on the iPod, to feel the strength in my legs and the way my shoes keep my calfs perpendicular to the cement. We made it to the end and I stopped to pet Hobo and thank him for being such a good dog. Then we about-faced, walked a short distance and decided to do it again, and then round the corner for that last 1/2 mile and keep going. I thought about how my friend John, who is also training to tri (this time full olympic style) said that running is the only portion where you have no momentum- you can't stop peddling for a second, like on a bike, or glide, like in the water. You're either moving or you're not.
I am resting today and doing it again tomorrow, this time with no stopping, save a broken ankle. Hopefully my new (very used) road bike will be finished by then and I can start trying for the Big Hill- this steep winding mountain at the edge of town. Goals, goals, goals. Keep moving forward, keep the momentum.
Hobodog, powerhouse

No comments:
Post a Comment