Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Alpine Arrival

Made it back to Texas! And I think I'll be staying here for a few months. We got the diagnosis- it is lung cancer and from the original colon site she was fighting years ago. We spent last night in the ER with lots of nausea, shaking, etc. I can't imagine just galavanting off to Southeast Asia and doing research. Haha- I'd get shit done even if I were there. But that's okay, because every moment of life is precious and full of possibility. Some of the fun lies in letting go, moving with the flow and making changes when they are needed.

So set intentions today. One: change the diet of this house. First things first- she has to have a low fiber diet so spent time online searching out as many good, whole food alternatives in that bracket as I could find. A mind puzzle in some ways! It's fun to think about all the fun things we can make with these ingredients and necessity is the mother of invention, so there could be some creative explosions in this kitchen soon! (watermelon and cantaloupe shortcake with homemade biscuits and fresh whipped cream?) The doctor told her to cut out coffee so we can quit that together. And I'm trying much harder this time to get the fake stuff out of the pantry. As Michael Pollan says, it's not food. Our bodies simply haven't evolved to deal with it. Out! Out!

Also, realizing all the great things I can do here. I can work a lot and pay down my credit card. I can learn a lot more about nutrition and cooking. And I can train for that tri. I ran this morning to the store and it was so much closer than it should have been. I'm really looking forward to going further tonight when the air becomes cooler. Biking. The university pool here is $1. Can order books of Amazon that inform my research and interests. Not necessarily the order in which I planned to fulfill these goals/dreams, but I think that matters much less so long as you are still moving forward.

Tonight's menu:
Potato and rice flour buttermilk biscuits (low fiber grains) with a vegetarian mushroom gravy. Low fiber, well cooked zucchini and summer squash. Then maybe one more thing- small side of egg? Fresh cantaloupe cubes for dessert- could we fancy that up a bit? The possibilities roll out in all directions.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and you threw out my tuna fish salad which I made from canned salmon rather than mercury saturated tuna. It is going to be a challenge living with a vegan:)Glad you are back home. Love ya..
Your Dad

Margaret Shugart said...

That was an ACCIDENT!! And I'm not vegan (yet;) Love you very much,
Marg

Anonymous said...

I don't understand the need for a low fiber diet? Everything I have always read supports diets high in fiber for cardiovascular health and others...?

Margaret Shugart said...

Thank you for your concern and you are ABSOLUTELY right! Most people should keep a very high fiber diet to prevent colon cancer, help with the heart, general toxin removal etc. But my mom's had a re-sectioning in her intestines that resulted in scar tissue. Lots of fiber creates major problems with her system, sometimes landing her in the emergency room. She is experimenting more with some fiber intake and will hopefully find a good balance!

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States