Friday, May 2, 2008

drunk

I don't drink that often. Maybe once a week. Wait, let me see if I am lying... yes, I am. Once every two weeks. And usually top off at two bevvies. I tried to drink more last semester (because it's good for you in small amounts) but just found myself laying in bed at night, thinking, "Damn! I forgot again."

Lightweight.

Yesterday was the last day of the first year of grad school and I crashed. Took a hot bath and a solid two hour nap until I got the text from classmates. Happy Hour. Pearl Street. Now. Draaaag yourself out of bed.

Started early, finished strong. I was drunk after one beer. Had 5 for the night, or maybe 4.5- I swear someone took the last of that 5th beer. It was so fun, SO fun and especially as a rare treat. J came with two friends I adore and half the anthro kids showed- so many I've missed dearly in these last few months- we all danced and sang karaoke like fools. When I wasn't sure whether or not to have that last beer, J ripped a coaster in two and drew a picture on each half. Put his hands behind his back and made me guess which one. I picked the turtle, which meant "Stop." The other was a butterfly and he let me trade them, then called the bartender over. I kind of remember the rest of the night.

This morning at 8am I woke with a headache- part stuffiness, mostly toxins. He tucked me in, said to enjoy much deserved sleep and popped his head back in to remind me everything in the kitchen was up for grabs. I slept till noon, picked up a cup of coffee on my walk to get Ol' Blue from the first bar, and spent an hour wandering slowly down a part of Pearl Street I don't know well yet. The shops are beautiful and really, really expensive. Discovered the local Urban Outfitters and almost got myself in trouble with a gorgeous shirt on the sale rack. Luckily it was in all the wrong sizes. The sun is hiding today but the air is electric and even though every noise my roommate makes is amplified in my head, I feel amazing. And free. And calm. And full, very much in the moment. Drunk on it all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Posts like this make me feel like I'm reading about someone's quaint life in a novel. Makes me wish I lived that life.

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States