Sunday, January 23, 2011

detox

I start a detox tomorrow. I am also starting to research a paper on wine in the Texas Hill Country. And I'm sick.

So last night I took cold medication for the first time in at least a year. I finally slept after days of uneasy rest *and* got to remove some truly scary things from my head this morning. But felt extremely groggy. My friend Jess knew some people who could help with this wine paper, so I picked her up, grabbed a cup of coffee and drove out to Spicewood Vineyards. We did a wine tasting.

I arrived at my detox meeting not long after- high on caffeine, groggy from cold medication, and tipsy on wine. Mardi GRAS!! A good time and indicator to start the detox.

It's not a fast- it's going vegan and as raw as possible, plus taking cleansing supplements, which I expect will make me feel exhausted and awful, at least for a few days as toxins are leeched from my organs. No coffee, sugar, dairy, meat, chocolate (yikes), alcohol etc. Just pure homemade fresh foods. I also have two weeks unlimited yoga at the studio leading this, so lots of stretching, followed by meditation.

I've been prepping for it mentally for a while and people keep pointing out- it's only 8 days. Which is true. The detox itself is short, but I see it as a gateway into a changed and healthier lifestyle, not just physically, but mentally too. Less drinking, less reliance on coffee, more vegetables and deep greens, slowing down more, getting up earlier, having real stamina. (But after these days, I will still eat chocolate every morning; I'm not masochistic).

- I don't want to lose weight; I want the energy to work out.
- I don't want to use expensive, harsh facial treatments for my breakouts; I want the toxins and nastiness that causes them to cease.
- I don't want to drink to unwind after a rushed night of work; I want to be able to tap into my own inner peace and cool my thoughts from within.
These are just a few of my hopes.

So I've signed off facebook for the duration, primarily in hopes that I will write more instead. And I plan to withdraw generally from social engagements, simply so I have more down time to relax and listen to myself. I don't think I'll be completely healed- physically, emotionally, mentally etc- after. But I think it'll start to shift perspective and show me a new angle on life. Out with the bad, in with the good.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States