Plus, I am apparently going through some itchy phase and maybe getting a little closure on the trip would help with that- put my feet back on the ground. With the chaos of the move, starting school, reorganizing socially and whatnot, this is something put to the back burner. But it has to be done after every trip. It just has to.
And I'm too braindrained to write new stuff. Promised myself a post every day. Cheating.
bar fight!
Current mood: amused
Category: Parties and Nightlife
I almost got into my first fight last night, with a woman named "Bam Bam"- an expat from England who looked to be in her early 40's- dyed plantinum hair that had been kinked, wearing a black floppy felt hat and cut off jeans that sat high on her waist... although after the first song, she had unbuttoned her top two buttons and was gesturing questionably to the band. It was obvious she was wasted, and maybe a little nuts, but it was possible that the nuttiness came from some creative streak. I tried not to judge her too hard right off the bat.
The band was good (see blues band photo)- blues, soul and rock 3 piece lead by an American black man who looked like he had stepped out of a 70's Bruce Lee movie- cammo pants, studded belt, black sleeveless shirt, dark blue bandana tied around a short fro, built arms and combat boots. He played bass and could wail with soul. The other guitarist was maybe German of Jewish decent, in his 40's, also in a sleeveless shirt, although not as flattering as the lead. He sang more of the rock songs and definitely did it with gusto. Then there was the drummer- good looking Thai man with a feminine, angular face and long hair pulled into a pony tail at the nape of his neck. He played some mean solos.
About 20 minutes after we arrived, Bam Bam wondered over to us, pulling a chair up to our cushion platform and leaning on my leg. At first I just avoided looking at her, hoping she was drunk enough to sort of stumble off somewhere. But she leaned over and asked which one of the musicians I liked. I hadn't really thought about since I was actually there to see the next band- a Thai rock group who preforms songs from Franz Ferdinand, Radiohead and Red Hot Chili Peppers with perfection. I told her none of the ones on stage. She asked again and I said I was only curious about how the bassist got here- how the hell does an African American man come to Thailand and wind up playing the blues in an alleyway bar in Chiang Mai? She said,
"Well how the hell did you get here?"
"I'm on vacation."
"Oh... so which one do you like? I like the bassist. I'm drawn to bassists and he's sexy hot, don't you think?"
"Yeah, good looking man. How long have you been in Chiang Mai?"
"Ten years. The drummer is my husband... but I can fuck anyone I want. So which one do you like?"
Just then the lead singer of the second band walked by (see Thai rock photo) and I pointed to him-
"There. That one. I like that one."
"Oh no, not him!" She finally dropped the subject.
We chatted a little about where we came from and exchanged names. I tried to be kind but on my guard because her energy was so off. I let her initiate the bits of conversation...
"You know, Margaret, you remind me of a third child."
What? I thought of Enders Game, a book where the main character is a third, illegal child who saves the world. Didn't make any sense.
"You, yes, a third child. You seem nice...and you are! You are nice. But you're not."
Hum, astute. I almost said I could be a bitch but just tapped my foot to the music. There was a pause, then it happened.
She leaned over again, "What's your name?"
"Margaret"
"What's your name?"
"My name is Margaret"
"I said- What's your NAME?!"
"Margaret. As in Margaret Thatcher, the Iron Fist." I thought since she'd forgotten before, a little English reference would help her out. I emphasized Iron Fist by setting my right fist into my open left hand. Bad move.
She reached over with her skinny fingers and sharp claws and grabbed that place where muscle meets bone in my upper arm.
"Don't get fucking smart with me!"
"I didn't. I just told you my name because you asked." Pushed her hand away.
"Fuck you!" And she reached again, pinching my arm, leg, face. "You're in the wrong country, little girl!" and "Fuck you!"
I redirected her hand, "Bam Bam don't." Again and again. It was like disciplining my dog. "Bam Bam no! Bam Bam stop. Don't Bam Bam." There was a short pause then she reached around my arm and grabbed a little portion of my neck with her sharp fingers, like she was trying to rip out my jugular vein. I jumped up.
Now, I've always joked about wanting to be in a bar fight, break a bottle and all that. I love throwing punches- ask anyone at work. I'm not terribly strong, but I don't hold back in reaction. That's play though. My real reaction is to get the hell away from the situation. Faced with fight or flight, physically and emotionally, I am a flyer.
I stepped behind our cushion platform and Laddawan scooted over, taking seat next to the woman. She likes to fight too, but just maintained control while I went to the bar to tell them Bam Bam was drunk and beligerent. There was, of course, a language barrier but all I had to do was point- she was gesturing wildly at Laddawan. A sweet guy who jams sometimes with the second band stepped up to calm her down. Laddawan spotted an open area and we moved as she started yelling at him. He later told Laddawan that she comes with the band every time and always pulls a stunt. He apologized to me for her being crazy and asked if I was hurt.
No, just a little shook up.
A few minutes later and she was standing in front of the band, yelling at the drummer who avoided eye contact. She poured her beer out on the ground and when they finished playing, she started pushing him around. He deflected her hands and walked straight out, ignoring her.
I sat there drinking water wondering if I should've decked her, done my best to lay her out, taught her a lesson and all that. But the Thais honor harmony here and I would've lost whatever respect I might have earned over the last week of polite patronage and careful reverance. And anyway, that's not me. I'd jump up to defend a friend, but for myself, well, I guess I honor harmony too.
______________________________________
2:06 AM - 6 Comments - 3 Kudos - Add Comment
Rachel
wow. i don't know what else to say! wow! stay away from bam bam!
Posted by Rachel on Saturday, April 21, 2007 at 9:38 AM
[Reply to this]
Mystikeye
KICK SOME ASS!!!
Posted by Mystikeye on Sunday, April 22, 2007 at 11:07 AM
[Reply to this]
Brian
Tsk..tsk..thought we had raised you better. Good decision not to disrupt the harmony over there and maybe find out what a Th jail looks like on the inside. Proud of you. Watch out for those English expats.
Posted by Brian on Sunday, April 22, 2007 at 8:37 PM
[Reply to this]
Kelly and sometimes Nathan
Margaret, you have the most excting life!! I know that must have been scary, but I'll tell ya, you did the right thing! I would have probably started crying, I'm such a weanie... Keep blogging, I am living vicariously through you right now. Have fun and be safe girl! Love, Kelly
Posted by Kelly and sometimes Nathan on Monday, April 23, 2007 at 8:31 AM
[Reply to this]
Amber
Well Mararet, I'm proud of you. You did what was best for you. A good punch would have been nice, but Bam Bam would have prob. kicked your ass after that. I think I have taught you well in the art of self defence, but we still need moretime. Training shall begin again when you return my little grasshopper.
Miss you, have a great time, no more bar fights, Amber
Posted by Amber on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 at 9:17 AM
[Reply to this]
Margaret
I so could've snapped her like a twig... or at least slapped her ass hard enough to leave a mark. But you are right- I need to resume training under a real master before I go about trying my skills. *deep bow* I miss you too.
I'd love to rewrite them but that would be from who I am now- not the same. Will add photos later; keeping the original comments attached because they were a part of the experience, as were the people who made them.
________________________________
bar fight!
Current mood: amused
Category: Parties and Nightlife
I almost got into my first fight last night, with a woman named "Bam Bam"- an expat from England who looked to be in her early 40's- dyed plantinum hair that had been kinked, wearing a black floppy felt hat and cut off jeans that sat high on her waist... although after the first song, she had unbuttoned her top two buttons and was gesturing questionably to the band. It was obvious she was wasted, and maybe a little nuts, but it was possible that the nuttiness came from some creative streak. I tried not to judge her too hard right off the bat.
The band was good (see blues band photo)- blues, soul and rock 3 piece lead by an American black man who looked like he had stepped out of a 70's Bruce Lee movie- cammo pants, studded belt, black sleeveless shirt, dark blue bandana tied around a short fro, built arms and combat boots. He played bass and could wail with soul. The other guitarist was maybe German of Jewish decent, in his 40's, also in a sleeveless shirt, although not as flattering as the lead. He sang more of the rock songs and definitely did it with gusto. Then there was the drummer- good looking Thai man with a feminine, angular face and long hair pulled into a pony tail at the nape of his neck. He played some mean solos.
About 20 minutes after we arrived, Bam Bam wondered over to us, pulling a chair up to our cushion platform and leaning on my leg. At first I just avoided looking at her, hoping she was drunk enough to sort of stumble off somewhere. But she leaned over and asked which one of the musicians I liked. I hadn't really thought about since I was actually there to see the next band- a Thai rock group who preforms songs from Franz Ferdinand, Radiohead and Red Hot Chili Peppers with perfection. I told her none of the ones on stage. She asked again and I said I was only curious about how the bassist got here- how the hell does an African American man come to Thailand and wind up playing the blues in an alleyway bar in Chiang Mai? She said,
"Well how the hell did you get here?"
"I'm on vacation."
"Oh... so which one do you like? I like the bassist. I'm drawn to bassists and he's sexy hot, don't you think?"
"Yeah, good looking man. How long have you been in Chiang Mai?"
"Ten years. The drummer is my husband... but I can fuck anyone I want. So which one do you like?"
Just then the lead singer of the second band walked by (see Thai rock photo) and I pointed to him-
"There. That one. I like that one."
"Oh no, not him!" She finally dropped the subject.
We chatted a little about where we came from and exchanged names. I tried to be kind but on my guard because her energy was so off. I let her initiate the bits of conversation...
"You know, Margaret, you remind me of a third child."
What? I thought of Enders Game, a book where the main character is a third, illegal child who saves the world. Didn't make any sense.
"You, yes, a third child. You seem nice...and you are! You are nice. But you're not."
Hum, astute. I almost said I could be a bitch but just tapped my foot to the music. There was a pause, then it happened.
She leaned over again, "What's your name?"
"Margaret"
"What's your name?"
"My name is Margaret"
"I said- What's your NAME?!"
"Margaret. As in Margaret Thatcher, the Iron Fist." I thought since she'd forgotten before, a little English reference would help her out. I emphasized Iron Fist by setting my right fist into my open left hand. Bad move.
She reached over with her skinny fingers and sharp claws and grabbed that place where muscle meets bone in my upper arm.
"Don't get fucking smart with me!"
"I didn't. I just told you my name because you asked." Pushed her hand away.
"Fuck you!" And she reached again, pinching my arm, leg, face. "You're in the wrong country, little girl!" and "Fuck you!"
I redirected her hand, "Bam Bam don't." Again and again. It was like disciplining my dog. "Bam Bam no! Bam Bam stop. Don't Bam Bam." There was a short pause then she reached around my arm and grabbed a little portion of my neck with her sharp fingers, like she was trying to rip out my jugular vein. I jumped up.
Now, I've always joked about wanting to be in a bar fight, break a bottle and all that. I love throwing punches- ask anyone at work. I'm not terribly strong, but I don't hold back in reaction. That's play though. My real reaction is to get the hell away from the situation. Faced with fight or flight, physically and emotionally, I am a flyer.
I stepped behind our cushion platform and Laddawan scooted over, taking seat next to the woman. She likes to fight too, but just maintained control while I went to the bar to tell them Bam Bam was drunk and beligerent. There was, of course, a language barrier but all I had to do was point- she was gesturing wildly at Laddawan. A sweet guy who jams sometimes with the second band stepped up to calm her down. Laddawan spotted an open area and we moved as she started yelling at him. He later told Laddawan that she comes with the band every time and always pulls a stunt. He apologized to me for her being crazy and asked if I was hurt.
No, just a little shook up.
A few minutes later and she was standing in front of the band, yelling at the drummer who avoided eye contact. She poured her beer out on the ground and when they finished playing, she started pushing him around. He deflected her hands and walked straight out, ignoring her.
I sat there drinking water wondering if I should've decked her, done my best to lay her out, taught her a lesson and all that. But the Thais honor harmony here and I would've lost whatever respect I might have earned over the last week of polite patronage and careful reverance. And anyway, that's not me. I'd jump up to defend a friend, but for myself, well, I guess I honor harmony too.
______________________________________
2:06 AM - 6 Comments - 3 Kudos - Add Comment
Rachel
wow. i don't know what else to say! wow! stay away from bam bam!
Posted by Rachel on Saturday, April 21, 2007 at 9:38 AM
[Reply to this]
Mystikeye
KICK SOME ASS!!!
Posted by Mystikeye on Sunday, April 22, 2007 at 11:07 AM
[Reply to this]
Brian
Tsk..tsk..thought we had raised you better. Good decision not to disrupt the harmony over there and maybe find out what a Th jail looks like on the inside. Proud of you. Watch out for those English expats.
Posted by Brian on Sunday, April 22, 2007 at 8:37 PM
[Reply to this]
Kelly and sometimes Nathan
Margaret, you have the most excting life!! I know that must have been scary, but I'll tell ya, you did the right thing! I would have probably started crying, I'm such a weanie... Keep blogging, I am living vicariously through you right now. Have fun and be safe girl! Love, Kelly
Posted by Kelly and sometimes Nathan on Monday, April 23, 2007 at 8:31 AM
[Reply to this]
Amber
Well Mararet, I'm proud of you. You did what was best for you. A good punch would have been nice, but Bam Bam would have prob. kicked your ass after that. I think I have taught you well in the art of self defence, but we still need moretime. Training shall begin again when you return my little grasshopper.
Miss you, have a great time, no more bar fights, Amber
Posted by Amber on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 at 9:17 AM
[Reply to this]
Margaret
I so could've snapped her like a twig... or at least slapped her ass hard enough to leave a mark. But you are right- I need to resume training under a real master before I go about trying my skills. *deep bow* I miss you too.

No comments:
Post a Comment