I had two this year already. One shared with the Thai's in April- a 3 day water festival simulating the Buddhist renewal rites (in this case, though, with buckets of freezing water thrown amongst drunk revelers for hours)

And one in August when everything attached to memory was stolen, effectively wiping it clean and initiating a major growth spurt.
(Side note: I had a lady at one of my tables overhear me recounting of the Truck story to a dear friend. She grabbed me by the arm and told me the number 8 was the number of renewal, and not just astronomically. Biblically. "This is from Jesus' calendar." I wanted to tell her Jesus was a carpenter but she was so earnest, so sincere in her promise to pray for me, I couldn't help but feel touched. I agreed with her that our vision of renewal has to be outside ourselves. Our personal dreams are so small compared with the huge possibilities ahead of us.)
The benefit of this particular time is reason and excuse to enumerate some changes (or at least continued projectories) for the following calendar year. Personal considerations:
1) Money- I've quit using credit cards. Now it's time to pay them off, even if that means taking out a school loan to do so. Closing that book for good this year.
2) Romance- Keep the pact I made with myself about staying single until a relationship really looks and feels and smells right. And that probably means staying single all year (and beyond).
3) School- Focus in on a research goal and pursue it full-on; do the absolute best I can in every aspect.
4) Body- Stay off the scales and exercise because it feels good. Fuel it with healthy stuff.
5) Friends- Make those lingering phone calls I've been delaying for other activities and keep up contact as best as possible, knowing that every ounce of effort yields rewards 1000 fold.
Oh, that's good for now.
Smell that? The it's that new year scent. Ready to hang from your rearview mirror. Now let's push things forward.

No comments:
Post a Comment